As I begin this new adventure I made one promise to myself...I would keep a journal to document the experience. As many of you know...I am a late technology adopter but I must admit this method of documentation is sooo convenient...so here I go.
The second day of fall in Kansas City...the weather is starting to cool down, kids have been back in school for a few weeks and The Chiefs are 2-0. Not too shabby! I have always loved this time of year...even though spring tends to get the credit as the season of renewal...I have always thought fall to be the more provocative season with new beginnings... I have one week before I will no longer be a resident of Kansas City...but no matter what life brings...I will always be a very fond visitor! It is a little mind boggling...hard to believe I have been in Kansas City for 15 years. This is the longest I have lived anywhere. I'm so grateful for the friends and family that helped me get my start here when I was 23 and who have supported me over the past plus decade. What a ride it has been!
I've been fortunate to have a great summer of relaxing, reflection and a lot of discovery and rediscovery! In many ways...I feel like I am 23 again...starting something new and unknown...full of excitement and anticipation. I remember coming home after being laid off in May and I felt mostly indifferent...of course I was upset, worried and pissed off...but today I see things more clearly. I had lost my passion and spark and it was time for me to start a new path. This just forced the opportunity for me to re-evaluate. I love the quote my cousin Mike said..."you were on the Clarke Griswold career path"...meaning...I drank the kool-aid and believed in the X,Y and Z process...this the machine...this is the road map...this is what you must follow...it is what grown ups do. Yuck...no...double yuck. After having the summer to take a step back, really reconnect with friends, family, make new friends, attend concerts, sporting events, barbecues, do some traveling, visit the beautiful ocean again, attend my 20 year high school reunion, rediscover music and my passion for writing...for the first time in a very long time I feel like I am living in the present and have reconnected with areas of my life I tended to neglect.
For me this change is more than "just a career opportunity"...it is an education and adventure in living. Being exposed to different cultures, backgrounds, and beliefs will be eye opening for sure. Especially for the gal from Kansas who has never been overseas. One of the benefits of being a researcher is having the innate curiosity and passion to discover. I am looking forward to this journey and along the way I hope to discover some new talents and passions of my own. I am very grateful to be given this opportunity to work on contract at MoveOne and live in Dubai. In the coming weeks I will be moving my belongings to Wichita, spending some time with my cousins on my mother's side of the family for a reunion in Austin, Texas and having some family time with my parents. So as I wrap up my life here in Kansas City I want to thank all of you who have supported me through my transition. I love you and will miss you all!
Good luck, Julie! I hope you find everything you are looking for. As far as the Clark Griswold career path - were you also trying to develop a coating to keep cereal crunchy in milk longer? ;) Mitch
ReplyDelete